I’ve done research for more than 10 years on water filters, I’ve bought and tried different water filters, and I’ve come to the conclusion that Black Berkey filters are the best.
I started out like you probably. I had very little knowledge and a really small budget. That forced me to just buy the cheap filters from the store. What led me to do that in the first place?
I knew there was something wrong with my water on a surface level. I knew it didn’t taste right and I didn’t feel good after drinking it. I bought the cheap filters and tried it out.
Because my knowledge wasn’t great, I was led to believe that the filtered water I was drinking was safe.
I thought this way because it did taste better and these companies promised it was healthier. It might have been safer to drink, but not by much. I started doing some heavy duty research on tap water and what exactly is in it that’s so bad.
I have a bunch of blog posts and articles that go into what I found, so for the sake of time let me just give you the basics. The Environmental Working Group found more than 315 pollutants in your supposedly treated city tap water.
I then looked at exactly what the cheap water filters eliminate and they eliminate nothing! They only reduce a few bad things such as chlorine and some of the heavy metals but not even at 90%.
What Do Black Berkey Elements Get Rid Of?
- They reduce viruses by 99.999% such as MS2 – Fr Coliphage.
- Pathogenic bacteria, cysts and parasites by 99.9999% like E. Coli, Klebsiella, Pseudomonas Aeruginosa, Giardia, Cryptosporidium, Raoultella Terrigena
- Trihalomethanes are removed to below detectable limits such as Bromodichloromethane, Bromoform, Chloroform and Dibromochloromethane.
- Radiologicals are removed to below detectable limits, such as Radon 222.
- Inorganic minerals are removed to below detectable limits.
- Volatile Organic Compounds (VOCs) are removed to below detectable limits, like Atrazine, Benzene, chlorine, Ethylene Dibromide (EDB) and MTBE.
- Heavy metals are reduced up to 95%, including lead, mercury, aluminum, cadmium, chromium and copper.
- Removes or reduces rust, silt, sediment, foul taste and odors
The Black Berkey elements are re-cleanable, self-sterilizing and last up to 3,000 gallons (6,000 gallons per set of two). These elements fit into any Berkey system such as the Big Berkey and the Berkey Light.
These particular purifiers don’t filter fluoride and arsenic, but you can buy the Berkey PF2 filters to accomplish that. These elements have been tested by State & EPA accredited laboratories to exceed EPA & ANSI/NSF (Std. 53) protocol.
Are Black Berkey Filters Really Economical?
Before I learned what was in my water and how it could effect my health, I was a tight wad and didn’t want to spend money on anything. Once I learned what was in the water, and once I started feeling sick after drinking the water, the price didn’t mean much to me.
With that said, the Black Berkey filters are quite economical. Two of the elements last for one year according to all my tests. With the cheap filters you are paying at least $20 and sometimes more every two or three months, plus they don’t hardly filter anything.
You also don’t need any electricity or water pressure so whatever you pour in the top of the system is exactly what you get after it’s purified.
Take the time and learn more about the Black Berkey elements and consider buying them along with a system so you can drink truly pure water.